July 20, 2011

TRISTAN THOMPSON: STEAL OF THE DRAFT?

With reference to attitude and hoop skills, Cleveland Cavaliers forward Tristan Thompson might just become the steal of the 2011 NBA rookie draft. The 6-8 newbie, who was born in Toronto, Canada, was the 4th pick over-all of the Cavaliers behind teammate Kyrie Irving, Derrick Williams of the Minnesota Timberwolves and Enes Kanter of the Utah Jazz in the draft held last month. Thompson was a former high school star at Findlay College Prep (NV) before spending a season of college ball at the University of Texas at Austin. He averaged 13.1 points, 7.8 rebounds and 1.3 assists per game in 36 outings with the Longhorns. St. Edward HS coach Eric Flannery, who had the chance to mentor Thompson during the 2010 McDonald’s All-American game, says he is very impressed with the personality and basketball ability of Thompson. He also admits that the Cavaliers did a great job in choosing the former Longhorns star, according to The Plain Dealer.

“I think they hit a home run. I really do. You take in the whole picture, how can you take somebody else? If you're taking a chance on somebody else, either character or skill set, I thought he was right there and definitely worth it ... I thought he'd be a perfect fit. My personal opinion is, and I mean this sincerely, I think he's the steal of the draft.”

No comments:

Post a Comment