August 3, 2010

CLASS ACT

Unlike his celebrated Miami Heat teammate and ex-Cleveland Cavaliers stable mate LeBron James, Lithuanian Zydrunas Ilgauskas took time to thank the Cavaliers fans after 12 years of service in C-Town, in an article which appeared in the Cleveland.com. Actually, the Cavaliers is the only team Ilgauskas has ever played for in the NBA before he hooked up with James in South Beach this summer. The one-page ad was published in the Cleveland Plain Dealer. It was truly a class act by the gentle giant..

“When I came to this country 14 years ago, I was a young man who barely spoke the language and had no idea what to expect of this great country.

As I look back into those early days, I realize how lucky I was to have grown up in a place like Cleveland. All of you have thought me the importance of family and friends; of pulling together to get things done; of loving your country.

I’ve never felt as proud as when I’ve pulled on the wine and gold and stepped into the court.

I’ve tried my best to return that support by playing as hard as I could each and every game.

The decision to play for Miami was not an easy one to make for either myself or my family.

But as I enter the last few years of my career, I felt I owed it to myself and my family to chase my dream of winning an NBA championship.

I hope you understand.

I also realize that Cleveland will always be home to me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment