March 9, 2011

BUYOUTS ARE NOT GOOD FOR THE LEAGUE

Ever since, I am not really is a big fan of the contract buyout that prevails in the NBA a month before the regular season ends. I hate it because I don’t like players dictate where they play and then eventually kicking out another player who worked his butts off during the first four months of regular season play. Take the case of erstwhile Miami Heat PG Carlos Arroyo, who was waived in favor of Mike Bibby, who had a contract buyout with the Washington Wizards after being traded by the Atlanta Hawks. Orlando Magic head coach Stan Van Gundy is likewise not fond of the contract buyout which he believes is not good for the league, according to NBA.com.


“You spend all this time in your locker room talking about trying to get guys to put aside personal things and ‘it's all about the team. And then on March 1st you're changing the team and sending guys out the door. I think pretty quickly players pick up that you're sort of full of crap, that they're not really part of it. And why are they buying in [to the team concept] if you're just going to jettison 'em? I don't think it's good. I'm not saying anybody's wrong, and if there's somebody out there that would've helped us, we would've done it, too. I just think the league needs to look at the whole thing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment