August 7, 2010

SPOELSTRA BELIEVES IN FILIPINOS

Miami Heat head coach Filipino-American Erik Spoelstra said that a Filipino may soon play in the NBA, according to the Manila Times. Spoelstra thinks that the Filipinos love of the game and their passion are the keys of someday making it to basketball’s biggest stage. Spoelstra also talked about how it feels good to return to his mother’s homeland.

“The NBA is now global. A lot of nationalities from all over the world are now playing in the league. The Filipinos’ love for basketball is a big asset to be there in the NBA. I really like it here because of the Filipino people’s passion for basketball. They [Filipino young players] must have a vision. That’s really very important to guide their interests. Talent-wise Filipino kids have, but I do hope, we can also promote a very healthy lifestyle here.

“The sport has been good to me. I don’t see any reason why it cannot be good for them. It’s just making the right decision for their future. Where I am now is a proof that it can be done. I hope it will be enough inspirations to anyone aspiring to become great in basketball. It’s a matter of making sacrifices and setting the goal. My mother doesn’t make it here now. But I am here and very exciting to once again visit the place of my family. It’s great to be here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment