December 10, 2010

RUDE AWAKENING

The NBA D-League has become a reality check for some NBA players. Take New Jersey Nets forward Terrence Williams. The 6-6, former Louisville standout was assigned by the Nets to the Springfield Armor and played three games thereat. It was part of the penalty imposed by the Nets to Williams due to the latter’s habitual tardiness in various team functions. Williams is scheduled to return to the Nets in their next road game against the Dallas Mavericks. Williams, the 11th pick over-all in last year’s rookie draft, is currently posting norms of 6.8 ppg and 3.8 rpg in eight games so far with the Nets. He says his stint in the D-League woke him to reality and appreciates Nets coach Avery Johnson’s move to assign him in the minor league, according to the Star-Ledger.

“There definitely was an awakening. It woke me up a lot. I’m not going to sit here and give you the typical answers – everybody that goes to the D-League and comes back says, 'Yeah, I understood my lesson.' When I say I understood my lesson, I truly mean that, in the most sincere way, that I really understood going down there and it definitely woke me up, and hopefully helps my career in the long run. I definitely understood what Avery did and I appreciate it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment