May 15, 2011

SLAM 148 AND HOOP 0304

I got myself copies today of SLAM 148 (June 2011) and HOOP 0304 (March/April 2011) issues and I swear both magazines are full of slambang articles regarding the ongoing playoffs. Both magazines were courtesy of my wife’s cousin, Jomar De Guzman of Virginia Beach, Virginia, who took time to subscribe me to these two precious b-ball publications. It feels good to have the SLAM 148 considering that no said issue was available in the Philippines due to the reported transfer of distribution rights. My sincere thanks again to Jomar.

“The pre-season buzz about the Heat (cover 1, southeast part of the US, subscribers, foreign copies) focused on over-the-top celebrations, 60-plus wins and possible favorite status in the East. Now we’re supposed to think of them as a work in progress? Ryan Jones explores what to make of the season’s most debated team.”   

“I always make it a point to avoid writing too much about the Knicks. Since my almost 10 years at HOOP, I’ve tried to let my fandom go, be more objective and even-handed in our coverage of the League. Through the years, the memories of the Knicks have eroded or gone deeper in the recesses of my brain, rarely ever coming to surface. And it’s been over the last 10 years. While it is true that I have to walk past the Garden everyday to and from work and I have to attend Knicks games from time to time, it’s been really easy to put aside the team that inspired me to spent a good chunk of my school years sketching re-imagined Knicks logos, fantasizing about a LeBron-like talent running alongside Patrick Ewing and obsessing over finding the perfect Knicks cap. It’s been easy because since I’ve plied my trade here, the team has been terrible. They’ve never had a winning record and their best showing was 39-win season in ’03-04. They’ve been through seven coaches and just two All-Stars.”

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sir Boyet ;) I would just like to let you know that I am one of your biggest fans. I make it a point to read your blogs because, just like you, I am a bball junkie. Keep up the good work sir!

    I would also like to ask you saan ako pwd makakuha ng Slam 148 po. Collector po kc ako ng Slam since the 90's pa. All in all, 8 issues lang kulang ko. My earliest issue is #5. After reading your blog, I found out that no 148 reached the Phils because of distribution issues. Sana matulungan mo ako sir kc sayang din naman kung ma discountinue and aking collection.

    Ask lang din ako sir, how is the quality of Slam PH? Ok lang po ba sir? so does it mean from now on, wala na ding Slam US version na makararating sa atin? As a collector kc, hesitant ako mahaluan ng local yung mags ko, hehe. Pero if comparable naman yung PH version, why not? Panalo din naman yung price niya.BTW Sir, I'm from Davao pala. Mahirap kumuha ng Slam dito. Sa ebay ako kumukuha and some supplier na taga NCR pero nawala yata cp nya kc d ko na siya makontak. As of now, wala pa nakakarating na Slam PH sa mga major bookstores dito.

    Again thank you sir for the bball insights you post in your blogs. Pls continue it and more power! Hope you can also give me assistance sa problema ko.

    John
    daturns@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John! Thanks for following my blog. I have the same problem with SLAM 148 because no US Edition copy was available in the country due to the rights issue, which was bought by a local group in charge of the SLAM Philippines. I got the 148 issue from the US thru my cousin. About issue number 149, the maiden issue of SLAM PHL, it's a good material with all the US Contents plus 3 local articles. And it sells for only P200.00 which is cheaper than the US Edition of P 450.00. So why go for the US Edition? It's all now in the SLAM Philippines. It's available now at Fully Booked branches in Metro Manila. Thanks again and God Bless......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the reply Sir Boyet :) I have already asked assistance from a friend in the US. Tamang-tama kc uuwi siya ngayon July. I will also wait for the Slam PH to arrive here in Davao. Again Sir, thank you very much and more power!

    John

    ReplyDelete