July 3, 2010

GOT THEM ALL WRONG

SLAM magazine July 2007 issue in its NOYZ section predicted that then Orlando Magic forward Grant Hill was all set to call it a career (with all those countless injuries) after the end of the 2006-07 regular season. But Hill proved them all wrong when he signed with the Phoenix Suns before the 2007-08 season and since then, remained as one of the vital cogs of the Desert City  outfit for the last three seasons. Hill, 37, submitted averages of 11.3 ppg and 5.5 rpg in 81 outings the past season. The former Duke standout also saw action in 16 games for the Suns during the recently-concluded 2010 playoffs wherein he posted  9.6 ppg and 5.8 rpg.

“By the time you read this, the Orlando Magic’s season (2006-07) will almost certainly be over. Which means the playing career of Grant Hill could be done, too. We’ll sincerely miss Grant and look forward to him running a team or analyzing a game soon…..”

*****


Derek Lee, Chicago Cubs resident star at first base and team captain, actually started off as a high school basketball star in El Camino HS in California. Lee was recruited by North Carolina to play college ball but choose baseball instead. Lee could have played with Rasheed Wallace and Jerry Stackhouse for the Tar Heels.

“ I was alright, man. Basketball is what I like to play the most. In high school, I played on the wing. I was pretty good shooter. I was a slasher, you know? I’d be on the wing and I’d take the three or go to the basket. But I wasn’t as all around the basketball court like I was on the baseball field. I couldn’t dribble that great. I wasn’t like a sky-riser either.”

No comments:

Post a Comment