October 19, 2010

AMAZING ROOKIE

Utah Jazz rookie Gordon Hayward in
pre-season action against the Phoenix
Suns. (AP Photo)
I intently watched yesterday’s pre-season game, the Staples Center shootout finale between the unbeaten Utah Jazz and the defending champions, the Los Angeles Lakers. The Jazz went on to win the game, 99-94, but not after a scintillating performance by rookie Gordon Hayward. Hayward, a 6-8 forward out of Butler University and the ninth pick over-all by the Jazz in the 2010 draft, top scored for Utah with 26 points. Hayward was all over the court and his great timing, outstanding positioning and terrific shooting was a sight to behold for a league newbie. It looks like Hayward will surely give John Wall, the top pick over-all in this year’s draft, of the Washington Wizards, a run for his money in the rookie of the year race. Hayward, in his usual humble self, says he still needs to learn more from the game, according to Yahoo! Sports.

“A game like tonight just gives you a little confidence. It’s a learning process, and I have a lot to learn from this game. I’m already thinking about what I could have done and what I should have done. It was fun out there tonight. I just wanted to go out there and play hard, don’t think about it and let my instincts take over.”

No comments:

Post a Comment