August 25, 2010

SETBACK FOR SPAIN: CALDERON OUT, LOPEZ IN

Raul Lopez saw action for Spain during
the 2009 FIBA Euro Championships.
A major setback hit Team Spain as starting point guard Jose Calderon is ruled out for the entire FIBA World Championships after suffering a muscle injury in his left leg during the exhibition game against Team USA, according to FIBA.com. Raul Lopez, an NBA veteran like Calderon, will replace the Toronto Raptors quarterback in Spain’s official line-up. The Spanish backcourt brigade will now consists of Ricky Rubio, Juan Carlos Navarro, Sergio Llull and Lopez. The 6-1 Lopez played two seasons for the Utah Jazz and was the 24th pick over-all during the 2001 draft but he didn’t see action until 2003. He has career averages of 6.5 ppg and 3.8 apg in 113 total games for the Jazz.

“I am surprised because I could not watch the game last night and I didn't know what had happened until this morning.  I have mixed feelings because you don't want to go into the team after another teammate has injured himself, but I am very happy to be able to play at the World championship with this group of players. Last year, I already had the luck to be a part of this group. Now I need to adapt as fast as possible to the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment