July 6, 2010

ONE MORE CHAMPIONSHIP

A few days ago, Cormac Gordon wrote a very interesting article at silive.com about the 6th all-time leading scorer at Wagner College, who is no other than Danny Seigle of the San Miguel Beermen. Gordon touched on the current developments surrounding “Dynamite Danny” and reminisced the good old days of Seigle at Wagner. Seigle talked candidly about many hoop things in the telephone interview with Gordon. At 34, Seigle still plays an important role for SMB and has his sights focused on at least one more PBA championship before he retires. 

"Good luck to those guys (2010 NBA free-agent class). I wish them well.

When I came to Wagner to play ball, all I was hoping was to get my education paid for. Basketball wound up being a lot more than that to me. I’ve been spoiled. They love their basketball here (in the Philippines), and I’ve had a great career. I’d like to be a part of one more championship.

It was disappointing not to win more (at Wagner). But I have no regrets other than that. I met a lot of great people, and enjoyed playing for Tim (Capstraw).

I can shoot it, and I had good size for a player over here. In college I was a three, but in the Philippines I became more of a power forward who could shoot. It’s taken a toll (his past injuries). It gets harder and harder to shake stuff off.

I think the level of competition in America breeds mental toughness that can be missing in some other places. There’s a lot of anxiety and pressure related to playing at a high level, and I’d like to help teach players how to deal with that better.

I still have my heart set on one more championship."

No comments:

Post a Comment