July 3, 2010

THE BLACK SUPERMAN

Quinito Henson, the country’s leading sportswriter and who is currently on two-week US vacation that will include stops in New York, New Jersey and Phoenix, came up with an inside scoop on one of the greatest imports ever to play in the local hoop shores and that is the former Portland TrailBlazer Billy Ray Bates a.k.a. “The Black Superman”. “The Dean” bumped into Bates, who is now 54, while in New Jersey.

In Henson’s article, which appeared in the Philippine Star today, Bates, who averaged an eye-popping 46.2 ppg in four seasons in the PBA, talked about his new life, finding the right direction and his renewed relationship with God.

“I’ve learned from my mistakes. I don’t want to dwell on the past. I’m moving on and dedicating the rest of my life to doing positive things. I want to reach out to kids, to get them out of the streets through sports, to tell them to get it right the first time before it’s too late. It’s all about being healthy, doing good things for your mom and dad. I want to tell them it’s not cool to do drugs and alcohol.

“I’ve had a rough life but thank God, I’m still alive and surviving. I’m focused on God and my family. I’m doing everything I can to be the best I can be the rest of my life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment