July 12, 2010

BIG THANKS


I would like to say "thank you" to Quinito “The Dean” Henson, POC Olympism awardee for journalism excellence, DLSU Hall of Famer, NBA.com blogger and the original NBA authority in the country, who is fresh from a 2-week US tour with stops in New York, New Jersey and Phoenix. “The Dean” gave me his usual “pasalubongs” of SLAM Magazine (August 2010 issue with LeBron NYK cover) and my first-ever DIME Magazine (May/June issue with John Wall cover).


Henson, a regular columnist for the Philippine Star, shared his hoops experience in his recent US trip with inside scoops on the current status of one of the most-prolific PBA imports ever, Billy Ray Bates, and former PBA two-time MVP Abet Guidaben. Both Bates and Guidaben, who were teammates with the legendary Crispa Redmanizers, are currently living in the New Jersey area.


“I’ve read about President Aquino’s parents and how much his family is loved by the Filipino people. It would be an honor if I could personally greet the President. Then, I’d like to call on three men whom I respect a lot – Robert Jaworski, Tommy Manotoc and Norman Black. I want to visit the gravesites of two gentlemen who were very good to me – Ernesto and Danny Floro. I want to give my condolences to their families. And I want to get together with all the Crispanatics, especially Billie Jean who headed the Redmanizer fans club during my time.” – Billy Ray Bates


“I’ll never forget our Grand Slam in 1983 with Crispa. Tommy Manotoc was our coach and I was named MVP. I got my second MVP award in 1987. When I go back to the Philippines, I’d like to do my share in bringing the fans back to watch the PBA. I know there are many alternative forms of entertainment but I think the PBA is still the best wholesome sports entertainment vehicle available.” – Abet Guidaben

No comments:

Post a Comment