July 28, 2010

EX-PBA IMPORT TAKES HELM AS NBA D-LEAGUE COACH

Remember Darvin Ham? Yes, the 6-7 forward of the 2004 NBA champion Detroit Pistons and the former import of Talk N Text Phonepals in the 2006 PBA Fiesta Conference. According to NBA.Fanhouse.com, the ex-Texas Tech star was named as the new head coach of the New Mexico Thunderbirds in the NBA D-League. Ham served as assistant coach with the T-Birds for the last two seasons. Ham played eight years in the NBA with career averages of 2.7 ppg and 2.3 rpg in 417 total games with the Denver Nuggets, Indiana Pacers, Washington Wizards, Milwaukee Bucks, Atlanta Hawks and the Pistons. He averaged 16 ppg in his short PBA stint. Shane Edwards, a forward with the T-Birds, credited Ham for his progress in the D-League, which eventually culminated in an invitation from the Nuggets to play in the NBA Summer League.

"(Ham) knows the game very well because he's played it for so long that he has an excellent understanding of the game from a player's perspective and was able to teach me how to do the little things. I also worked with Darvin to develop my post skills. He gave me stuff I could work with on the block and off the block, and I think my post skills got a lot better. I really learned a lot from him."

No comments:

Post a Comment