July 22, 2010

J-LIN MAKES HISTORY

In a historical moment, guard Jeremy Lin became the first Taiwanese-American to sign an NBA contract, according to an article posted in USA Today. The former Harvard University standout inked a pact with the Golden State Warriors following a good showing in the 2010 NBA Las Vegas Summer League. The 21 year-old guard averaged a respectable 9.8 ppg and 3.2 rpg in five games for the Dallas Mavericks entry. A highlight in his summer league stint was the game against 2010 NBA draft number one pick over-all John Wall and the Washington Wizards. Lin, who went undrafted in this year's rookie draft, amazingly scored eleven points in the last quarter punctuated by a steal off Wall for a breakaway fastbreak slam. The 6-3 Lin is expected to be a big hit in the Bay Area with its big Asian-American population.

"This is unbelievable. I've never been part of something like this. I consider myself a basketball player more than an Asian-American. I'm ready to play at this level and I appreciate the support of the Asian community. This is a dream come true. I always wanted to be in the NBA and now I get to do it with the Warriors, the team I grew up watching.

"This has not sunk in yet. I've had a lot to think about the last 12 hours and I still can't get my head around it. Growing up I had my Latrell Sprewell poster and Joe Smith  jersey.



"Donn Nelson took care of me. He invited me to July 4 festivities, brought me to Dallas for a 10-day training camp and went out of his way. I understand there are not many Asians in the NBA and there are not many Ivy Leaguers in the NBA. Maybe I can help break the stereotype."

No comments:

Post a Comment