July 15, 2010

MATTHEWS TO BLAZERS


The Utah Jazz shockingly did not matched the Portland Trail Blazers five-year, $33.4 million offer sheet to restricted free-agent Wesley Matthews, thus making the son of former PBA import and ex-LA Laker Wes Matthews the newest addition to the Rose City outfit, as reported by NBA.fanhouse.com. Matthews, who was not drafted by any team in the 2009 rookie draft, was one of the biggest revelations in the league last season. He signed with the Jazz as a free-agent a month before the 2009-10 season began.  The ex-Marquette University standout averaged 9.4 ppg and 2.3 rpg in 82 games for Utah during the regular season as a rookie. But it was during the playoffs when Matthews raised a lot of eyebrows with his scintillating plays as he submitted norms of 13.2 ppg and 4.4 rpg in 10 games to propel the Jazz into the second round.

"I thought they would match. After all, they said I was a priority. They said that I was a priority, but they never made me an offer. They never offered me anything. I'm sure that if they would have made an offer, it would have been a fair offer and I might have taken it.

"I'm looking forward to it. It's a great organization (Portland). Whether they want me to start or come off the bench, it's fine with me. I can be a defender for them. I'm just happy for my family. They've never had a payday like this before. But I don't play for the money.'

"I guess some people think that I was overpaid if they didn't match. But I can't listen to that. But I'm going to keep working. That's why I'm going to the gym right now to work out. I'm going to show them that I'm worth the money.

"They really embraced me there. I wish them luck except when they play us. But (the Jazz) never made me an offer.''

No comments:

Post a Comment