July 11, 2010

FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME

It’s nice to hear that former NBA coach Eric Musselman is back into coaching. His blogsite entitled Basketball Notebook is the only hoops blog which I followed religiously until his last post in March 2009. Since his last NBA coaching stint with the Sacramento Kings in 2007, Musselman has turned his attention doing TV color commentary jobs for the NBA D-League and NCAA hoops. Basketball really runs in the blood of the Musselmans. His late father, Bill, was the first ever head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves and was also a former head tactician during the ABA days in the 70’s. This time around, Eric is bringing his coaching talents to faraway Caribbean to handle the head mentoring job of the Dominican Republic National team. Our best wishes to Eric on his latest coaching endeavor.

“The reason I'm coaching the Dominican team is that I couldn't wait to get back on the floor. It's good because basically all you do is go and coach the players. The team works on putting the roster together so as a coach all your time and energy is just focused on drills. I think it'll be good for somebody like me because I'm looking forward to experimenting and trying a few new things that I've always wanted to do, and this will give me an opportunity to do that."

"Having watched and observed so many different practices since I've been out of the league and watching games live and on TV -- all of that stuff is going to be invaluable. I'll finally be able to put a lot of that into place now."

"I think if the right opportunity presented itself to get back on the floor, I'd love to do that.  For now, I just needed to get back on the floor, and (coaching the Dominican Republic national team) presented that opportunity for me so I jumped at it."

No comments:

Post a Comment