July 23, 2010

FEARS AND DOUBT


There is a feeling of uncertainty in Space City with regards to Yao Ming’s much-anticipated comeback next season from a serious foot injury. Fear and clouds of doubt hovers over the bright skies in Houston as Yao admitted that he is doubtful if ever he can return to his old deadly form, according to an article which appeared in Xinhuanet News. The 7-6 Houston Rockets center injured his foot during game three of the 2009 Western Conference semis against the Los Angeles Lakers. The injury was so severe that the gentle giant missed the whole season last campaign. The said injury was the latest in a series of health problems which has greatly affected his once-promising NBA career. 


"I have no idea if I can return the peak of my form. I have not been tested. I have not played competitive basketball since the injury even in the training. I cannot answer if I will return to my best. 

"The intensity of my training is going up gradually because at least I feel good about my injury. But talk about recovering my form is nothing but nonsense and will only be realized if I can get through the next season smoothly. Then, you will see results after that season.

"I know I will retire one day. My career will end sooner or later. Even if I can play until I am 36, I have to accept that fact. The only problem is that 30 is the golden time for an athlete, but for me it's sudden death and I find it hard to accept that.

"It just depends on how well I recover from the foot injury. If my foot can survive the whole season and require no surgery in the summer, I will probably play for China again. I think I can still help the Chinese team. But, realistically speaking, I am not the future of China basketball due to my age. China needs to have a new generation of players to take the responsibilities (from me). I have heard of several new players emerging from CBA. They have passion, talent and creativity. I hope they can keep those qualities.

"Even some of my close friends bet there was no way for the Rockets to win more than 30 regular season games last season. Just have a look at how much they won. I have faith in the team."

No comments:

Post a Comment